Heavy Rail System is an integral part of Victoria’s transport network. The term heavy rail refers type of rail system we have in Victoria. Currently, over 230 million passengers rely on this system each year (Public Transport Victoria’s Annual Report 16/17).
The system is simply overcrowded, unreliable and doesn’t meet the public expectations. This leads to increased road congestion, forced car ownership and insufficient parking space.
To ensure our network continues to grow and meet the population’s needs, we need to improve our network by implementing better strategies and infrastructure.
It is for this reason we support:
- The building and public ownership of a rail across Victoria;
- Increasing the amount of intercity and intra-city freight movement on rail;
- The building of the Melbourne Airport Rail Link;
- Expanding the capacity of the existing network;
- Extending the network to areas currently not serviced by metropolitan rail.
In addition, we support:
- The implementation of the Suburban Rail Loop;
- The creation of Rowville Rail;
- Investigating the implementation of trackless trams;
- Reducing transport overcrowding;
- Improving and maintaining heavy rail infrastructure.