Rod presented to the North East Link expert advisory panel on Monday, September 9. His presentation focused on five key areas and stressed the importance of putting the needs of the community first.
Mr Barton’s recommendation to the panel included:
1. The existing EPA Guidelines be adopted as the mandatory minimum standard in all contracts with a principal contractor accountable for compliance across the site, including management plans with proactive controls and arrangement for compensation to effected area.
2. An independent comparison of the cost of tunneling the entire route compared to the cost of relocating and compensating affected businesses in Bulleen. Speeding up rezoning permissions at Websters Road to provide options for those who can move.
3. Better protection for the green ribbon, including protection of waterways, reducing the amount of vegetation lost and committing to maintaining and upgrading walking and cycle pathways along the Yarra.
4. The inclusion of informal feeder roads at Templestowe Road and Bulleen Road south in the project area to ensure both roads are upgraded to meet increased traffic and controls for future remedies for noise and air quality.
5. Consideration of public transport needs to minimum Hurstbridge line disruptions and place priority on the planning of the proposed busway from Doncaster to the city.