The SRL project will change the way Victorians move by connecting our middle suburbs, major hospitals and major economic centres. This 90-kilometre rail link will link every major rail line in the metropolitan rail link and create new stations in previously unconnected suburbs such as Doncaster.
Brand new stations will be constructed at Monash, Burwood, Doncaster, Bundoora and Melbourne Airport. In addition, the government proposes three transport super hubs at Clayton, Broadmeadows and Sunshine to connect regional services to the SRL.
We believe Stage One of the Suburban Rail Loop should be extended to include Doncaster. Doncaster is located in the City of Manningham which is the sole metropolitan municipality that remains unconnected to the rail network; despite being promised rail services for over 129 years. As a result, the City of Manningham experiences road congestion, forced car ownership and overcrowding on local bus services.
In addition, Doncaster Station is the most technical engineering aspect of the SRL design. It is thus essential it is included in Stage 1.
- The implementation of the SRL;
- Extending Stage 1 of the SRL to Doncaster (the next station);
- Connecting the Airport to the rail network;
- Enhancing Job opportunities and local businesses;
- Connecting Victorians to hospitals, education centres and other services;
- Reducing traffic sewers and road congestion;
- Encouraging the use of public transport and reducing forced car ownership.
In addition, we also support:
- Improving overall transport travel times;
- Creating green community hubs in and around rail stations to increase social engagement, education and wellbeing;
- The implementation of the Melbourne Airport Rail Link (MARL).